November 18th, 2005
|taosma||10:42 pm - Holiday Spice Cookies/Ornaments|
HOLIDAY SPICE COOKIES
These cookies can also be used as little christmas decorations. Use a variety of cookie cutter shapes and use a bamboo skewer to push a hole in the top before baking. Once the cookie is baked, make sure the hole has not closed over. If it has be sure to open it up before the cookie cools. You can dress up these tree ornaments by sprinkling them with the demerara sugar before baking. For eating, they are better without the sugar.
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar (we use rapadura or demerara)
Demerara sugar, optional
1. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and spices. Stir in the salt.
2. In separate bowl or an upright mixer, beat the butter and the sugars until light. Finely grate the zest of the lemon then blend it with the egg. Pour the egg and zest into the lemon mixture. Blend, then add the flour mixture a little at a time and mix until combined.
3. Pour the mixture onto a floured surface and roll into a ball. Flatten and wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
4. Roll out half the dough 1/4" thick and cut into shapes using cookie cutters. Transfer the cookies onto parchment lined baking sheets and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (I skipped this step and it was fine)
5. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
6. Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes until they are just beginning to colour on the edges. Cool. Repeat with remaining dough.
Makes 36-40 cookies.